Thursday, October 8, 2020

Truth in writing

  So, it's been a slog these past few months. Pandemic continuing because people are stupid. Political tirades out of the mouths of the idiotic and the outright hateful. Non-pandemic health concerns for both self and family members. Financial worries based on both said health concerns and the possible outcome of the US presidential election (doesn't matter who wins really; both Biden and Trump suck and a third-party candidate doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell).

    And yet, I'm actually feeling okay right now. Not great, but I'm not drowning in sorrow and anger at the world I live in. Mostly because General Conference was really uplifting, as it always is. 

    I've also come to a realization as to why I've always been so fearful of writing out my fanfic and posting it online. It's a fear of rejection. Not because the story would be bad, but because I feel I have a moral obligation to stand up for what is right in both the real world around me and the fictional world I create. That means I can not write anything that glorifies sin, and that means that any and all slash and explicit content in general.

    Well, if you are even slightly familiar with fan fiction at all, you know that slash and explicit content are essentially bread and butter to fanfic writers, both in output and consumption. Meaning there is a real chance my fic will get little to no attention. That's not what scares me. What scares me is that some readers will be offended by my choice to not glorify homosexual relationships. As well as my choice to put religious content in there at all. Basically, I'm afraid of being persecuted for my beliefs.

    But I was not put on Earth at this time to shy away from persecution. So what if no one on AO3 likes me because I speak the truth in my fic? That is not the end-all and be-all of my existence. Besides, I would rather have no internet friends at all than abandon my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment