Monday, December 14, 2020

And now, some gaming stuff

 On December 10th, I was casually scrolling through Twitter when I came across an odd tweet. The picture in the tweet was of a Sephiroth (the big bad from FFVII) figure surrounded by My Little Pony figures. The caption said something along the lines of how Sephiroth must feel around all these cutesy Nintendo characters. Finding it odd, I decided to keep scrolling and not pay it much heed.

Until midnight that is. I went downstairs for a midnight snack to see my brother scrolling through his phone. He asked me to guess who was announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as DLC that day. And then it clicked in my head. Sephiroth was the new DLC fighter, and that tweet was just the beginnings of the internet about to lose it's mind. Naturally, the trailer is just a thing of beauty, and the reaction vids were infectious in their enthusiasm.

Now, I am no stranger to having Sephiroth appear in weird contexts. He was an optional boss in both Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II. I am a huge fan for a game series that has Sephiroth exist in the same universe as Winnie the Pooh. Having him be in a game with Pikachu, Link, and Mario isn't that much of a stretch for my brain, as unexpected as his appearance was for the fans.

This does, however raise a very interesting question. You see, after the optional Sephiroth boss fight in KHII, Cloud decides to take a whack at Sephiroth (regardless as to whether the player beats him or not) and the two disappear. Sora then says that Cloud went to fight a great battle. This was well before even Cloud made his Smash debut, let alone Sephiroth. Most KH fans joke about it, but with how sly Tetsuya Nomura (the main creator of FFVII and KH) is, this may turn out to be something big.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment