Monday, January 11, 2021

I am beside myself

 It's one thing to know that the America you grew up in no longer exists on an intellectual level. It's far more of a gut punch to see domestic terrorists storm the Capitol because they didn't like who won the presidential election and wanted to kill the people who support the victor.

 

I had always considered myself a patriot, someone who loved being American. Now I wish I was a million light years away so I could disassociate myself from the mess of hatred and conflict this nation has become. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am ashamed of being American now. 

Worse still is that people who I once considered friends are cheering the terrorists on. It's utterly heartbreaking, demoralizing, and miserable to deal with, but it's going to hurt even more when I de-friend them on Facebook. It's hard enough for me to make friends as it is, and now I have to say "I can't be your friend anymore" because of the hate they spew without thinking.

But it has to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment